How to make a Valentine’s night in special:
- Treat yourselves to your favourite meal. Double points if you both love the same food – this makes it much easier to make!
- And serve it nicely! Sprinkle heats in the table, set places with napkins, wine glasses and a candle (or 10!) to set the mood.
- Speaking of mood, set it with the perfect music. Pick your favourite music, or if you and your partner have a song, play it! – You won’t get that kind of treatment in a restaurant!
- Confess your love! It’s cheesy, and obvious – so instead of just writing out the same message in a card like you always do, try writing a poem, song, or if you’re arty, draw it! Haikus anyone?
- And by that, I mean really talk. Ban your phones for the evening, shut out the word and just enjoy being together.
What to cook to make them feel loved:
If you’re thinking of treating your loved one to a homemade dinner or treat, but aren’t sure what to cook, here are some ideas to help you decide what to make.
Meat lover – make something simple into something special. Try this steak with Creamy White Wine & Mushroom Steak Sauce recipe. The sauce is rich and luxurious – definitely one to impress! Use sirloin steak for good quality and flavour meat, and mini mushrooms so you can leave them whole for effect! This goes really well with mini roast potatoes, chips or homemade wedges.
Indulgent veggie – this Mushroom Stroganoff recipe is creamy, thick and indulgent – definitely one for a special occasion! It’s also super quick to make at the last minute, so you’ll have plenty of time to set the mood first. Serve it over rice, chips or even a baked potato!
You will need:
10g dried porcini
300g sliced mushrooms
1 garlic clove
25g salted butter
1 tbsp brandy or rice wine
1/2 tsp sweet paprika
2-3 tbsp natural yogurt
Soak the porcini in enough boiling water to cover the mushrooms for 10 minutes, then chop.
Melt the butter in a non-stick frying pan over a low heat.
Crush the garlic clove into the pan, and add the mushrooms and porcini. Fry the mushrooms until golden brown.
Add in the brandy or rice wine, the paprika and a splash of porcini soaking water.
Reduce until the sauce is thick and sticky. Season and turn off the heat.
Add in the natural yogurt and mix in well.
Top with freshly chopped parsley and serve immediately. Enjoy!
Spicy vegan – this Spicy Veggie & Bean Chilli recipe is hearty and healthy! It’s delicious spooned generously over rice, and reheats really well – perfect for making ahead ready to heat up at the last minute. To save even more time, serve it with a microwavable rice or grains pouch and melty vegan ‘cheese’! Mmm…
Sweet tooth – what says ‘I love you’ better than a delicious army of homemade cupcakes? Decorate them with tiny heart sprinkles and edible glitter to make them extra special. Tip – if you don’t have the time to bake, buy plain cakes or cookies, and ice them yourself for a personal touch!
What are you planning to eat this Valentine’s Day? I’d love to hear about your plans in the comments! – Fran
1 thought on “5 ways to make a Valentine’s night in special & 4 things to cook to make them feel loved!”
Great bllog I enjoyed reading